New Arrival, New Filth

Open thread, looking for someone to join in?

Open for Play
Anaxas' main trade port; it is also the nation's criminal headquarters, home to the Bad Brothers and Silas Hawke, King of the Underworld. The small town of Plugit is nearby.

Darwin Widogast
Topics: 3
Race: Human
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: [url=http:/fullurl/]Plot Notes[/url]
Post Templates: [url=http:/fullurl/]Post Templates[/url]

Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:40 pm

15th of Yaris, 2718-Midday

From the woods outside the town that makes up Old Rose Harbor, a man broke through the treeline. Utterly filthy, covered in leaves, thorns. twigs, and mud, he stared out into the field outside the outer homes. For no more than 10 minutes he loomed like a specter. Then he moved. Head down, hands on the straps of his makeshift traveling pack, he walked around the perimeter of this town. His feet are sore, his back tired, and his eyes sunken from lack of sleep. He stopped his stalk at one of the main exits of the town. The flow of produce goods here is strong he thought to himself. Easy to get in unnoticed. He slipped between to carts of goods, and followed them into the city. He broke away from his cover, walking towards the Trader's Market. He stopped every twenty minutes or so, standing close to a vendor or a work gang as Galdori or Human guard pass by.

After an hour of this tedious journey, he came to the markets outermost edge. He opened his water skin and drank from it like a horse at a trough. He sat down outside a house, or some sort of renovated business house. There he pulled from his sack a crude, wood bowl. Long, partially gnarled, and poorly cut, the bowl looked like something you would have found at a poor mans grave hundreds of years ago. "Spare coin!? Spare coin for a young beggar!?" was shouted from his lips. He yelled it well, getting a few forts once in a while. But in his eyes, you could see that he wasn't in that moment. He was thinking about something entirely else.

Tags:
Benton Borteillo
Topics: 8
: aka EON, Roswell Godfrey
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Writer: Quix
Post Templates: Post Templates

Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:12 am

15th of Yaris....
B
enton had always despised the heat. He was not especially sweaty like the men whose faces would drip sweat over even the simplest task, but the dampness that coated every inch of his skin made the lately developed hypochondriac squirm. There was no escaping the Roalis heat, either, and the only relief came as the flat and eventually cooling air of Yaris settled on Old Rose. Winter, of course, was Benton’s favorite season, but business did not fair well in the cold months.

The theoretical cooling of the area coaxed everyone away from their sun-protected hiding places. Benton drew his hat down over his eyes, drawing himself nearer to the buildings lining the road so as to avoid the shoulders barreling into his own. He kept one hand on his money, especially as children slipped by him, and another on his weapon. He was a prime target, after all- a human, seemingly defenseless and well-dressed enough to suggest affluence. He kept his head down, not letting a soul deviate him from his path, That was, however, until he nearly tripped over the figure protruding from a business step. He barely stopped himself in time to keep himself from barreling into the young, dirty beggar, using the thin black cane as some kind of brake system. He frowned, disapproval lining his aged face. How he wished for a cleanse of Old Rose Harbor to remove the likes of this. Without word, he batted the bowl back with his cane, causing the coins to jump up and fall back with a clatter.

“Come off it, boy, you’re clogging the streets with your nonsense,” Benton prodded the boy gently with the cane, his voice condescending as ever as the sea of people parted around them. He had a strange sense of pity, a strange sense of empathy in which he found it necessary to criticize the unfortunate situation all those around him were in, even as he tried to make it better. He had responsibilities in the market today but, - oh, hells, it wasn’t too big a sacrifice for him to help the pitiful young man under all the dirty and soot.

“Up with you, now. You’re filthy, your feet are bare. Cold weather’s-a-coming, don’t you know? You’re not going to survive like this. Not on- oh, a few coins, in’it?” He glanced down into the bowl. “Nah, you’re not going to survive like that. Awful cold here. Come up, will ya? I’ll treat you to some shoes, at least- there, there’s a cobbler down the road, you hear?”
In hell I'll be in good company.
Darwin Widogast

Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:57 am

15th of Yaris, Midday

Darwin had been enjoying the slightest breeze that kissed the harbor. Shoes off, voice loud, and skin wet with the grime filled sweat that cooled him down. Kids here and there had thrown in their candy money for the beggar, earning them a genuine, only in look, smile. Then, his act was soiled by the one thing he hadn't counted on, someone really noticing him. "Come off it, boy, you’re clogging the streets with your nonsense." Spoke an aged man to Darwin, prodding him with his cane. Oh, great, some top of the pack well-to-do. thought Darwin. His hand shifted slowly towards the dagger under his coat, until the man said something he hadn't expected, something kind. "... Come up, will ya? I’ll treat you to some shoes, at least- there, there’s a cobbler down the road, you hear?" He can't really be trying to help me. But I'll play this game, maybe ill get something of it.

Darwin stood up, balancing on the balls of his feet. "I.. uh, I accept your offer, my friend. Might I get your name? I'm Darwin Widogast." Darwin bent over while talking, putting his few hats and bowl back into his sack. Then in one fluid motion, he picked it up and slung it over his shoulder.
Benton Borteillo

Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:10 pm

15th of Yaris....
T
his was not business, Benton reminded himself. Therefore, in this very moment, he was not Eon, as he had become so accustomed to being. No, in this moment, Benton was actually Benton. It had been awhile, which was a funny thing to think. It had been a while since he had been himself, not the shadow of a man he disguised himself in to make himself untraceable in the business of selling drugs.

He was glad the man obeyed. Agreed? No, obeyed. His first objective was achieved- getting this man out of the way, off the streets. There were other ways he could’ve done it to save his wallet- he could’ve simply beat him with the cane and accosted him- but, no, people were watching. Benton’s reputation was his greatest asset.

“Benton,” he introduced himself curtly. He found his last name too much information to give. He was paranoid. “I’ll have you know I don’t trust you. Most people are just more productive alive, but, if you prove to me that you are a wasteful void sucking away the life, then, well, I’ll retract my offer.” He eyed the man. He hadn’t missed the movement of his hand towards whatever he had under his coat, almost certainly a weapon. He had been caught in a bad situation too many times to not notice something like the drawing of a weapon. “Know, too, that I am armed.” He said coldly.

Benton was armed with two weapons. One was the small dagger in the pocket of his coat, the other the cane he had had specially weighted to be heavy enough to bludgeon someone, especially the sleek metal knob on the end. Truly, neither were his weapon of choice- he was a man with an appreciation for old weaponry, and the flail was his favorite- but he knew how to use it, and how to hurt someone.

“Come on, Darwin, if you’re still interested,” he commanded, tapping his cane twice on the ground before throwing it up slightly, catching it in white-gloved hands, and adjusting the squat top hat resting on his head. He would wait for Darwin to stand, then stride towards the cobbler, a faint sign of a boot hanging over the street a few blocks away.
Darwin Widogast

Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:17 pm

15th of Yaris, Midday

"...Most people are just more productive alive..." Ah, that's it Darwin had thought to himself He wants me to do something. Well, it can't be too bad.
Once Benton finished his dialog, Darwin followed him without saying a word. He'll either be the start I'm looking for, or the reason I need to find a new city outskirts to call home. The two danced their way through the crowded streets of the Trader's Market in two very different ways. Benton moved with confidence but to the side, while Darwin weaved through the chaos, looking like the pathetic beggar he wanted to look like. Both men made it to the cobblers shop, and standing in front of it, Darwin made his move. "It uh.. makes two of us, this lack of trust." He slowly and obviously as he could pulled from inside his jacket one of five hidden shiv's made of wood. Very crude in nature. He held it by the point, and put the handle towards Benton, as if an invitation to take it. "I cannot say I'm the most well armed myself. Cities are... uh, not my preferred home." Darwin's partial lie obvious to Benton.
Benton Borteillo

Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:35 pm

15th of Yaris....
”K
eep your shank,” Benton dismissed the offered shiv, waving his hand and shaking his head. “As long as you don’t attack me, the best thing is for you to be armed in Old Rose. Dangerous place. Dangerous people.” He turned away from Darwin to walk into the cobbler, the creaking sound of the wooden sign swaying over head greeting them. Benton’s cane pulled him up the stairs and into the building. It was well-lit inside by two large windows at the front and back of the store. Shoes hung neatly up and down the wall in long lines, and the tools of the cobbler were scattered on the floor as the cobbler, an elderly woman with tired hands, worked skillfully and easily at attaching a new sole to old shoes. She did not look up, but greeted them pleasantly.

“‘lo, Benny, and ‘lo, stranger,” she greeted in a soft voice as she tapped the sides of the sole down with a mallet.

“Good afternoon, Miss Halpine,” Benton replied. He was comfortable here, leaning his cane against the wall and plucking his gloves off before folding them into his pocket. The old woman smiled up at him, revealing vision obscured by milky white cataracts.

Despite not needing shoes very often, Benton spent much time here, spent much money supporting the business. He had, afterall, killed this woman’s son. Of course, she didn’t know this. Benton had come to the woman, blind nearly already almost six years ago, and broke the news of her son’s death, telling her it had been a firefight. Through his feigned hysteria, he had failed to tell her- he had been the one who had shot her son, and it was no accident. Yet, his close contact with the Halpines led him to take responsibility for the woman, even starting this business for her.

Miz Halpine,” she mocked. “Benny, I ‘on’t know ‘oo yer tryin’ to be impressin’. Ya already gots my respect an’ adoration, no need to keep up this Miz Halpine, ‘noon Miz Halpine fluff. Always tryin’ to be some high up, tryin’ be some golly’s pet. Ya’re down ‘here wit’ the rest of us, Benny no matter ‘ow good you act an’ dress an’ talk.”

Benton rolled his eyes. He had not come here for a lecture. “I-”

“Aw, shush, boy. It ‘on’t matter. I ‘on’t recognize yer chappy’s footsteps. Ain’t no one I’ve ever met, but he’s barefoot, can tell you that,” she observed, her hands stepping for a moment as she tilted her head, listening to what she could of their footsteps on the wooden floor.

I don’t recognize your companion’s footsteps. He’s not wearing shoes,” she observed, her hands stopping for a moment as she poured over what information she could pick up through hearing.

“I barely am knowing him myself, actually,” Benton admitted, eyeing the man with a suspicious eyes. “But we’d like to get him some shoes.”

Shoes, shoes, shoes,” she muttered. “Benny never comes in for nothing but business.” She sighed, turning her ear to where Darwin stood. Benton pulled a crate away from the wall, then sat heavily with his cane across his lap.

“A’ight, boy, yer shoes. Tell me, what do you do? ‘Ow much walkin’ you do in a day? Where ya walk? The woods? The streets? An’ come over here, bring yer feet here. Gotta get ‘em measure,” she released a flurry of commands and sentences without giving him time to answer, then pushed the work she had been completing aside as she motioned him forward. Beside her was a stool, which she patted - “Yer foot, sir”- she mocked, turning away in a second to pull up a rag to set on the surface between his foot and the stool. She would wipe away the dirt of his foot if he obliged, then pull up a strange metal contraption- a ruler with a slide on either end. She’d rest one metal slide at his heel, allowing the ruler to run the length of his foot before pulling the second slide level with his longest toe. She felt the bumps of measurement along the side of the ruler, then, with a soft hmph, pulled it away and awaited his answers to her questions.
Last edited by Benton Borteillo on Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darwin Widogast

Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:34 pm

15th of Yaris, Midday

"...The woods?" was what made Darwin smile in this exchange. He put his foot up, wiping it himself, muttering quietly "Allow me to, Ms." He thought over his words before saying them. "I walk at least five leagues in a day, mostly through the wilderness. My time in the city is very much limited." His foot measured in at just over eleven inches, wide. He guided her hand over the arch of his left foot "This here, its uh... flat on the left." he guided her hand to the other foot along the far side of the arch "and here is prone to blistering. If you can consider those while uh; making them, that would be good." Without time for her to reply, he let her hand go, and walked away towards one of the walls of shoes. He picked up one set of leather sandals, taking in every detail of them. He noted the leather quality of this pair was below average, but the stitching and mold was borderline masterwork. He took the shoes to the woman. "These. These shoes, did you make them? The materials are poor but they're still put together better than most buildings in Dorhaven." He paused, waiting for the woman's response.
Benton Borteillo

Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:48 am

15th of Yaris....
”A
ye, boy, the woods. Ya like that? Ya perk up like a wolf ‘earing a babe cry.”She retracted her hands from the work area and Darwin offered to wipe his own foot. “I’ll be honest with ya, Benny. Ya ain’t hang ‘round the best crowd, but you still manage t’ bring me good people,” she added, addressing Benton where he sat, elbows on his knees as he rested on the crate.

“Only the best for you,” he sighed, little genuine tone in his mouth. He wasn’t going to put himself around the murderous, drug-hungry bad folk he dealt with more than he needed, and he definitely wasn’t going to bring one here into the corners of his personal life. The woman made no note of his dry comment, instead allowing her hands to be guided along Darwin’s semi-clean feet.

“Make shoes, no!” she exclaimed, them motioned to the room around her, where various tables full of hammers, soles, and nails awaited assembly. “Of course I make the shoes, ya clod,” she said, though she meant it in the most affectionate way. Benton smiled lightly, able to enjoy her irksome sarcasm as it wasn’t directed at him.

“A shoe is taken for granted, as it should be. I ‘on’t want my customers worried constantly ‘bout whether their shoe is gonna last, whether it’s gonna fall apart. It ain’t. With better materials, I think my shoes would outlive the man who weared ‘em,” she said dismissively, then turned her attention back to his feet.
“Now, shoes. Oes, a higher arch, a wider shoe. More flexible, too,” she noted to herself. She flicked her milky white eyes up to the source of Darwin’s voice. “Most shoemakers assume that both of person’s feet is the same.”

She stood, picked her twisted cane away from where it leaned on her chair. She walked towards the wall, sweeping her cane across her path despite knowing the placement of the room by heart. “I ‘on’t assume that, ‘cause it’s not true. E’ryone has two different feet. You’ve a flat foot next to a wide foot so-“ she picked one sole away from the wall, then moved to grab a slightly wider one with deft hands. “Two shoes for two feet.”

“Now, what do ya want? Sandal, boot? Loafer? I’ve got it all.”
Darwin Widogast

Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:43 pm

15th of Yaris, Midday

"...I've got it all." Darwin reflected for a brief moment, then answered quickly "Boot, extremely thick sole please." a moment, then he followed up with "I'm going to pass through some wet places, I'd like as much space as possible." He took a moment, allowing the woman to say her words, what he considered closer to rambling than real conversation. He turned to Benton "She mentions you don't hang around with a good crowd." He waited a moment with his mount open. Then he put both his feet down and slowly walked to Benton "What does this kind woman mean by that? I'm not uh, becoming indebted to a bad man, am I?"
Benton Borteillo

Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:16 am

15th of Yaris....
B
enton sighed a tired huff as Darwin approached him both in conversation and in space. He extended his right leg, the ghost of a wound that ached in the dry heat bubbling under the surface of scar tissue on his shin. Beyond Darwin, Halpine worked. He glared daggers palpable enough for her to feel. Of course she had nothing to say when Benton could truly appreciate it. She had directed Darwin’s searchlight eyes to Benton.

Benton crossed his arms, wondering how to approach the question. He didn’t like to lie, but instead liked to avoid the truth. “Indebted to me? No. You would only be indebted if I asked and you accepted. I nearly forced you here with, uh, aggressive charity. You don’t owe me anything.”

Benton paused, reaching long fingers into the pocket of his jacket and pulling out the small, flat metal box, as well as a pocket book of matches. He popped the box open, revealing the long cigarettes, and offered one to Darwin. Whether he take it or not, Benton lit his own cigarette, placing it between his teeth and taking a long drag.

“Notice, though, that I don’t deny that I’m a bad man. I’d like to think that people are good or bad in the eye of the beholder, but, the truth is, I am certainly not a good man. I’m a man with a bad reputation because he does good deeds in bad ways, and I’ll leave it at that.”
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Old Rose Harbor”

• Information