[Memory] A Sapling in the Sycamores

(Drezda, please.)

Open for Play
A large forest in Central Anaxas, the once-thriving mostly human town of Dorhaven is recovering from a bombing in 2719 at its edge.

Palis Ainu
Topics: 10
Race: Galdor
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Post Templates: Post Templates

Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:20 pm

Roalis 3, 2717
PPalis’ heterochromic eyes drifted back to the woman before him, a pleasantly stupid smile lingering on his softly pink lips. He had had a few interactions with Ourun, and she had proved not quite to have a temper, but to be very passionate with, in Palis’ opinion, little factual basis. He had spoken to her not but a few months before, and he had voiced his disapproval of her hypocritical actions. The woman was well-known as a fighter for the rights of humans, wicks, and passives, which he supposed was acceptable. Yet, as she presented her prized epitome’s of human perseverance, wick comradery, and passive determination, she ignored the very wick, Silas Hawke, whose muddling, opium-lined hands were pulling strings in every clocking corner of the Anaxi government. Sure, it was fine for the woman to fight for the rights of the quieted races- Palis had a had a particular human and passive whom he would give his very life for- but to do so while ignoring a murderous criminal who was corrupting the honest well-being of the government was unacceptable. The Incumbent had not enjoyed hearing this from a child, but it had won Palis a spot beside Siordanti, who both provoked and witnessed the whole ordeal.

He sipped his wine, this time a true drink, as Drezda steered the subject away from politics and onto education and future. It was a common subject for Palis to be lectured on, especially among the elderly Incumbent’s who, rather than viewing him seriously, viewed him more as a grandson of theirs rather than a future competitor for their long-lived political positions. It was at first an annoyance; he was annoyed by the fact that he was never viewed as more than a boy. The annoyance, however, evolved into a realization of a true gift; the trust of the elderly galdori proved to make them easy for Palis to infiltrate and manipulate. Yet, he knew that the canned response he had practiced for every common question was not what Drezda wanted. She wasn’t some old incumbent for him to manipulate.

“I’m continuing more intensive studies of politics once I return to school at the end of Roalis,” he began easily, his map of the next few years surprisingly concise compared to many of his peers’. “I”ll be returning to work with Siordanti next Roalis, then, upon graduation, continuing to work with him further. After anchoring more of a foundation for myself in this world of politics, I’d like to branch off on my own, be it another year or two, furthering my education whilst working independently. The full-time interning life will be too much a haphazard time of life, career, and housing adjustments to also continue education during the first year after graduation, at least.”

“I’d like to continue studying politics, history, and Perceptive conversation when I return to school, be it at Brunnhold or elsewhere,” he added thoughtfully. The map of his future, at least the detailed part, ended there with the beginning of his post-graduate education. There were long-term goals, of course- he wanted to start a family and be a better father than his own, wanted to live in a sweet and conversational Viendan house and hire his father’s human and passive servants to give them his own hand of better treatment- but the vagueness and private hopefulness of those goals seemed too personal for Palis to share. To share such romantic dreams and have them thoroughly ridiculed would hurt him more than he supposed it should.

His hand rose to his jawline in thoughtful recollection as he tried to politely turn the conversation and inquisition back towards her. “You returned to Frecksat after graduation, yes? Were you continuing your studies, or working? If you don’t mind me asking, of course. It interests me how we climb off the carriage of education and forge our own paths here.”
tonight we’re gonna party like it’s 2699

Tags:
Drezda Ecks
Topics: 21
Writer: Maximus
Writer Profile: Writer Profile

Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:21 pm

Roalis 3, 2717
Palis might not be as much Siordanti's pet as she'd initially thought and thus, the boy might actually be worth keeping an eye on. If he was capable of thinking for himself, which she suspected he was, then it was wise to learn what she could about him and exercise what influence she might have. Perhaps she might be able to keep him out of politics, out of her game if she managed to convince him that education was the way to go. Slim chance of that though; she wasn't so full of her own self-importance that she genuinely thought that she carried that sort of sway over the youth.

As soon as he opened his mouth though, she had little doubt that the boy was driven and unlikely to be swayed by anyone. It seemed quite clear that he'd come to a decision and was quite keen to pursue it. While others were contemplating purely magical education in their final years, he was considering political education. What he wanted to do immediately out of Brunnhold was evident, there would be no faffing around and questioning as many students did, certainly no sliding for Palis. Yes, Perceptive conversation was a magic obviously but the intent behind his reason for learning it was still political in nature. It sounded as if magic was a means to an end - she wondered what his relationship with the mona was like - rather than a real focus for him. Magic was an afterthought for the future politician, his mind hooked on the notion of continuing to work with Siordanti until the man served his purpose. The fact that he wanted to strike out on his own and had admitted as much showed that the Incumbent was a means to an end too.

It was odd actually to see this jovial young man discussing a plan that seemed to carry a savage undercurrent to it. Palis knew what he wanted and was willing to step on others, like Siordanti, to get it. Maybe she was reading too much into it, especially given that he was a budding politicians, they always made use of others on the way up. In fact, it was the only way to go up. It just felt odd coming from this boy because he just seemed too... nice. She knew that looks could be deceiving but this wasn't even the fake kind of nice, or if it was faked then he was damn good. If he was faking it then the Hoxian had to say that she was impressed at how well he was simulating the emotion. If she could subtly check him out with the Perceptive mona then she would but she couldn't; he would know.

"Well, no one can say that you haven't thought things through, Mr Ainu," Drezda commented dryly. "I must admit that you are far more practical than some in your age group I've had the misfortune to meet. I suppose it could be considered difficult to decide what you want to do for the duration of your life when you've seen so little of it but... one expects that they'd at least have some inkling. Alas, it's not always the case and so I must commend you for your forethought," she added, sipping on her wine, stiffening ever so slightly as he turned the act of sharing back to her.

"I returned... some time after my graduation, yes. It was to work. It was a convenient place to do so, near to my home. I could have worked in Brunnhold, I suppose but... well I simply didn't," she explained with a minute shrug. "Obviously, Frecksat is known for Static conversation but I did some work and research to expand the Perceptive department. We do more there than people seem to think we do."

She shot him a thin, humourless smile which suggested what she thought of such thinking.

"Sometimes one thing simply leads to another, Mr Ainu. Opportunities present themselves and it's up to us to grasp them. If you let an opportunity pass you by then well... you only have yourself to blame, don't you? I did not let opportunities pass me by, either when the Seventen showed an interest in me or when I had a chance to assist the former Hoxian diplomat."

She stopped speaking abruptly. It was well-placed enough that he might have thought it was a natural stop except for the way her features had frozen, a quick flick of her eyes as if she was trying to spot something inside her head. The diplomat cursed herself silently.

While Drezda was certain that she'd mentioned the Seventen previously, she was equally sure that she hadn't mentioned that she'd been headhunted. It had been a slip, a little piece of information that she hadn't intended to give. Given that information was currency and a currency she'd intended to withhold, she could curse herself a thousand times for her own stupidity.

"That's how you forge your path, Mr Ainu. You take whatever you can get."
Palis Ainu
Topics: 10
Plot Notes: Plot Notes

Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:03 pm

Roalis 3, 2717
Palis grinned. Practical. When was the last time someone had ever considered him practical? He was sure it had never happened, and to be seen as practical for once, after years of meticulous planning of future, of manufacturing dreams that could indeed become reality, of embroidering the blueprint of his hopes with the thread of reality with a smile, an interested expression, a grateful voice delighted him. His father was too cantankerous and jealous to appreciate the career and future the young man had already laid out for himself despite not yet completing the universal schooling of galdor, and his teachers did not appreciate him as, to so many of them, all that mattered was his grade in the classroom, not his success outside of it. Yet this woman, as scathing as her glare and voice that made Palis feel as if he were a ship under the glaring light of the bay’s light house, noticed his vigor. Whether her compliments were genuine or not- he could never tell- but he accepted them.

“The willingness to grasp any opportunity that presents itself- that’s what puts galdor like us ahead. It seems the mistake my contemporaries are making are found in the wait for the perfect opportunity, the step of the ladder that will put them highest up. While they’re waiting, we’ve climbed a thousand smaller steps,” he explained, his loquacious nature pulling words out of the air and plugging them together without much thought. He could hear, however, the nagging voice of his elders in his head- to make every word thought through, every word count, to imagine every word costs some sum of coins, so make them all worth every coin. Internally, he sighed, a sigh disappointed in himself, and he tightened his lips into a closed-mouth smile tainted with a slight annoyance. His eyes swept the crowd again, landing back on Drezda again.

In that second of observation, Palis got the information he needed. Siordanti was beginning to disengage in conversation, and he- and the incumbent he spoke to- were both running low on wine. The wine tray, carried on the shoulder of a passive, was making its way slowly through the crowd, and it would move between Incumbent Siordanti and Palis in a tick, enough time for Palis to intercept it.

He smiled and bowed before Drezda, a deep, nearly perpendicular bend held for a few seconds perfectly timed by practice to be not too abrupt, not too awkwardly long.

“It’s been a pleasure to make your acquaintance tonight, Ms. Ecks,” he spoke, his words more enunciated and measured than before. He tilted his head slightly. “Now, we both have limited time here to take advantage of tonight and the access we have to our peers. I think that we could benefit from each other, or at least I you, in the near future.”

He smiled, giving her a chance to say any necessary goodbyes, nodding slightly along with her cues. “I’ll be seeing you, Ms. Ecks. May you enjoy the night.”

And he stepped away, the projected location of the tray-carrier in his mind as he drained the rest of his glass. He intercepted the tray carrier, lifting two glasses from her tray while depositing his own, face down. He weaved through the crowd, a slew of how-do-you-dos ready at his tongue as he greeted those he knew while watching the sloshing contents of his flutes. Finally, he reached Siordanti, a heated discussion between him and his fellow alighting red into their faces.

“Sir, madam,”Palis began, a smile with feigned unawareness of the tense situation balling his cheeks. “Can I offer you another drink?”
tonight we’re gonna party like it’s 2699
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Vienda”

• Information