[Open] Cold Forge Blues

[4 Dentis 2718] Gale is trying to recover from effects of the riot - if only two meddling kids would leave them alone.

Open for Play
A large forest in Central Anaxas, the once-thriving mostly human town of Dorhaven is recovering from a bombing in 2719 at its edge.

Gale
Topics: 42
Race: Human
: Artful Gunner
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Plot Notes
Writer: Crosspatch
Writer Profile: Writer Profile
Post Templates: Post Templates

Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:56 am

Saunders Forge | Mid-Morning
4 Dentis 2718
Part of Gale’s mind switched off as they lay there – foetal and bundled in the blanket. Eyes were reduced to slits, the air gently whistling in and out their nostrils. In time the grip on their hair relented, the tensed muscles relaxing while the head hummed into nothing. It was the clunk of the keg that stirred them however, something tearing them from a state of unfeeling and into something else. Disorientated, the arms found themselves stuck as they struggled to escape. Dragging themselves upright, the bleary eyes blinked at him, following the face down to the shoulder, the arm and finally resting upon the offered item.

“Uh, thank ye?” the voice croaked. Rough fingers took the items, momentarily confused by Francis while the mind looked to catch up. They turned the rag over, registering that it was damp before effectively doing as they were told. Smearing the sleep from their eyes, the cool was sobering as it stirred something else. A sip, water also, the parched lips moistened as thirst was realised. It was hard to sip, mouthful swirled round before being swallowed. They watched the labourer potter about, fingers rubbing at their eyes as they began to slowly comprehend what was before them. Was he taking care of them? Whyfore? For what benefit?

“Why are you doin’ this?” the smith asked, words slow as they thumbed at the rag, “I don’t… I mean, your boss is a client of my business. You’re a worker. It’s not your job to do this?” Gale pinched their brow, inhaling deeply as the slurred and confused thoughts tried to formulate his agenda, “If it’s money you’re after I’ll cover the costs and time. Can’t do much else mind.”

Gale attempted to drag themselves up, bracing against the floor. The trembling of the legs however served as a solid deterrent to even try. So they remained where they were on the bedding, increasing levels of awkwardness and unease filtering into their stomach. Gale exhaled, the little consumed water reminding them of the other needs of the body – to sleep, to eat, to try and recover in some form.

The offer of food therefore was a good one – more so as they had seemingly currently forgotten how to take care of themselves.

“I mean, I ain’t fussy when it comes to food. Ain’t got the time to be fussy, nor the pocket either,” lips twisted, eyes staring into the bottom of their cup, “I don’t get it though. Any of it. Mean, I barely know you and ‘ere we are. And then there’s all the bull from Yaris…” A hand waved the thoughts away. The smith did not like the idea of having unsettled debts – there was enough looming over their head as it was without the owing of small, minor favours, “Doesn’t matter. Doesn’t. Just name the price and I’ll gather what I can for you.”
When the last of us will disappear
Like shadows into the night
The broken ones, the fighting sons
Of ignorance

Tags:
Francis Pusher
Topics: 4
Character Sheet: Francis Pusher
Plot Notes: [url=http:/fullurl/]Plot Notes[/url]
Writer: Hollowbreak
Post Templates: [url=http:/fullurl/]Post Templates[/url]

Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:55 am

05 Dentis 2718
Francis started to humm off tune as he scurried about, leaving Saunders with rag and water as he looked for a usable knife to which cut the cheese, meats, and bread. Leaving Saunders to xonfusion briefly as he contemplated wether he should make just one sandwich or two for Saunders, and probably one for himself while he's at it…..probably two.

The dark skinmed fellow's eyes skimmed the tables till he spotted something suitably sharp and he let out a pleased 'ah’ as he grabbed the bag with foodstuffs amd got to work.

That's when he decided to answer the confused Saunder's as he briefly turned and raised hhis and gave the fellow a 'You stupid look?’. He turned hisnhead back got he counter as he pulled the bread out first and roughly cut into it to make a number of un-even squares and then stacked them on top of the other.

“Ain't got a reason ta be helpin’ “ He replied honestly, as he pulled lut the cheese next and cut out some slices “This 'ere's troubled times an yer an obviously troubled one, 's only right for folks ta be helpin’ people out when they need it”. With that he hummed again, as he stuffed the cheese and bread back in the bag and then brough out the big ol’ chunk of dried meat to slice up the double amount of slices needed.

“If yer so keen on settlin’ thus spposed debt, jus’ finish me bisses order qhick as ya like. First bag's on the table along with a scrap of paper, whatever he's wanting is scribbled there”

Everyone likes more meat, yeah? Least he thought so and anyone who didn't clearly had grass on the brains.

The simple ingrediants ready, he began to put the crude sandwhiches together. Two for Francis, two for Saunders! The Mugrobi then turned and approached the bed ridden fellow with an even juantier step to his gait.

As he knelt down he handed one of the sandwhiches to Saunder's “Ought to break that into smaller pieces, or small bitins. Easier eatin’ I reckon”
/style]
Gale

Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:40 am

4 Dentis 2718
Gale shot him a look back, a brow raised to his own questioning expression. It was a silent conversation, their features hardening until he at last looked away. She did not get it, which was why they spoke up – why the questioned, why they allowed some element of paranoia to run rampart in their skull. Yet even as he gave an answer, the smith let the niggle of doubt fester within. There was always a catch; they just had yet to see it. The smith allowed their jaw to set into a line, their fingers idly fiddling with the thread of their trouser leg.

“Fine, I’ll look at it later,” They eyeballed the offered sandwich, as if was some form of peace offering before taking them from him. Upright now, they remained on the perch, thumb and finger running over the rougher crust. There was something satisfying with the tact; it gave a piece of clarity where the thoughts were fighting over each other. They needed to get in contact with the freedom fighters, ensure nothing had been missed – if the various powers in charge had made any moves. Restocking of materials too. That was ignoring going through the cycles of any immediate self-care and recovery, “Gonna take me a wee while. Need to sort things. Materials, stock… stuff.” They ripped the sandwich in half, “Should be done by the twentieth.”

Chewing upon the piece, the smith felt the flavour hit. The chunk was hastily ripped through after that, barely enough chewing motions to allow the piece to be swallowed without too much issue. Francis seemed content with himself, pleased with his efforts. Gale’s stomach was also pleased, the heavy weight of nutrients returning to a near incoherent form. Hunger had a tendency to bring out the worse in people, the smith was no exception. Leaning back, they released a heavy exhale.

“Troubled times? Aye,” they shrugged pushing down the idea of resistance rhetoric, it would have been so easy to begin, “Think some of us forget to look after ourselves. Or somethin’ I dunno, ain’t too good on the people stuff.” Sheepishly they glanced at him, “So uh, thanks? I mean, that’s how you say it all.”

Quickly, the smith began going through the second one – pausing only to slurp down some of their water. Cheeks puffed, a cough as the last was glugged down. A lick of lips, they let their stomach settle, their eyes dancing around the forge; they would have to make a list of things they needed. They would have to begrudgingly drag themselves outside, “Sandwich. Good shout. My pa used to toast ‘em in the forge when I was younger. Make ‘em all kinds of golden brown on the outside, get the cheese to melt a wee bit too. Bang tasty.”
Of ignorance
Francis Pusher

Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:16 am

04 Dentis 2718
Francis hummed in acceptance at the estimated time for the tasks completion, as far as he was concerned that was where his own ended save for telling Ol' Conney himself about it.

Amusement and self satisfaction quickly colored his features as Saunder's ate his sandwich at a speed that almost lacked any civility. Vindication was a rare thing to receive and to cherish he felt, and cherished it he did along with a bite of his own sandwich.

"Don't think too much 'bout it, reckon' them kids woulda brought in someone eventually ta do the same" Probably their mother, and he reckoned even if they didn't whomever they brought would have done a much better job than him. He then looked at the forge following Saunder's description of what his old man did with similar sandwiches

"Shame it ain't a bright now, coulda given it a try" He contemplated, the idea of such a sandwoch nice and toasty with nelted cheese was... Well, it was delicious sounding to put it plainly.

Francis was never cooked a day in his life and he didn't consider the sandwich he made something that took much effort to count, so mkst of his meals came from the stands and the Clockwork Stag. A sandwich like that would have broken the monotony quite nicely.

"Damn shame" he practically salivated then shook his head. Returning a sheepish look to Saunder's and chuckled lightly.

"Me ma an' da didn't have such an idea with sandwiches, but ma like to experiment time ta time". He remarked, then winced " Da seemed to like ma's cookin' but uh... Truth be told I reckon he was lyin' cuz I remembered each new dish ma made taste like somethin' them Gollies would weaponize"

He winced again, remembering some of the culinary horrors, part of his mind wondering if it was because of the poor quality of ingredients, another part of him argued that no... It wouldn't have made a difference.

"Don't think I'd care to remember 'em in case they asked, actually"
Gale

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:54 am

4 Dentis 2718
“That’s a ‘ome cookin’ for ye,” Gale spoke in a mumble, mouth full as they chewed, “Sometimes it’s good, other times well… reckon you could blunt instrument it. But, win some, loose some. But, good eatin’s. Pa and Me, we did what we could. S’all that mattered. Kept the bellies full much as possible. Can’t work on empty. Also wanted to make sure could at least feed m’self. So I know a little. Basic like.”

His look of contemplation did not pass the smith, a single curious eyebrow rising in consideration. Another biting mouthful, they chewed thoughtfully for a moment mind working through the attitudes Francis had presented. Twice they had shared an exchange; the first Gale had brushed him off. Both times however he had proven himself as polite and able, focusing on work before moving onto other details. A small frown, Gale swallowed and turned the rest of the sandwich over in their hold.

It was an odd situation, a territory they rarely entered. Sharing, unfolding, a mutual back and forth of individuals that formed even the most basic of tribal bonds. If it could even be called such; it was something that was encouraged in the smith, but something they could never quite wrap their head around. People were supposedly a weakness, something that could be used to manipulate. Control, if they even desired. Enemies could use that to their advantage.

“Gale,” the smith began, “Gale Saunders is my name if yer to be precise. Mister Saunders was my father. Though, I’ll take it if that’s what ye want.” Sniffing, they raised the last of the food in a mock cheer and thanks, “Good eatin’s. That’s that. I uh… shan’t keep yer time any longer. Boss’ll probably hide ye if ye take much longer. Plus, ye seem like a good person. I think at least. Dunno. I’m not that good of a judge in fairness.”

Or at least, Gale had a tendency to disbelieve people regardless of what they said. They were far from an optimist when it came to others. Rapidly, the smith ate through the second one; lips smacking as they drained the last of their drink and leaned back, “Think t’day is goin’ to be ‘n easy day. So, yeah. Ta. For doin’ stuff, even if yer being all ‘umble like. Ain’t got shit to offer ye in comp’nsation mind. But… dunno. Somethin’ equal will get sorted soon ‘nough.”
Of ignorance
Francis Pusher

Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:03 am

04 Dentis 2718
Compared to their first meeting, Francis had to admit the second was a far better and friendlier interaction than he expected. Of course he simply attributed that to him basically feeding the currently malnourished smith and making sure they were comfortable; literally taking someone to their bed, or in this cake bringing their bed to them, may as well have been bred some sort of familiarity between them.

He sighed as he pondered heading back to work, and decided that Gale had a point. Ol' Conny's patience could only be tested for so long and he reckoned he was beyond that "Ay, 'e probably would" And they were shorthanded so that made things more urgent, still at least he helped someone today and he supposed that was a lot better than pushing crates about like usual and he got called a good person to add to the hour although he wasn't sure he should have felt smug about that.

"Ah ya ain't needin' ta repay I reckon, reckon I'll be stoppin' again ta be checkin' if them kids don't do it by their own wantin'. Once yer feelin' all spry then ya ken get workin' on that order so the old misers don' be yappin' in me ears" he moved himself from his spot, cranking his neck with a satisfied pop as he looked towards the door with a mind to actually be the decent employee he pretended to be. He turned his head to Gale with a polite nod and smile "Don't get too knackered, arright?" He began to walk away with a wave of his hand in goodbye to Gale before walking out the door and gently closing it behind him, leaving Gale once more to their thoughts.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Vienda”

• Information