Feldspar Tailoring

A Grand Opening, all welcome

Open for Play
Brunnhold's college town, located inside the university grounds.

Cecelia Driscoll
Topics: 8
Race: Human
Character Sheet: Character Sheet
Plot Notes: Plot notes (Including thread history!)
Writer: Rachel/jadeowl
Writer Profile: Writer Profile
Post Templates: Post Templates

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:14 am

20 DENTIS 2718
JUNIPER'S SHOP
Cecelia chuckled at Juniper's display of frustration but, when she spoke, her voice was calm and reassuring. "You did fine. Ignatius is unflappable. He's the only one in the office that I don't want to throw things at multiple times a day," she laughed. "He's always that intense, but I think it's just because he takes everything seriously. It's a relief, to be honest. If one of my other coworkers came in, they'd be treating you like you were the scum of the earth. Ignatius? He's a decent person, for a golly. He at least respects people who do good work, regardless of race."

"Hey, it's not a problem. When I told the Director that you did work just as well as any golly tailor and, at a lower price, he jumped at the chance. From what I hear, the main office is breathing down his neck, demanding he keep costs down. The fact that he didn't want to 'waste good money sending a human to a Galdor tailor' helped, too," Cecelia said, her lips curving in distaste, "If there are Galdori worse than him to work for, I pray I never end up working for one of them. I spend half my walk home every bloody night swearing up a storm and imagining ways to knock some sense into him."

"Ignatius is very particular about his clothes and he probably measured you up in a glance. The fact that he placed the order means he trusts that you can make something serviceable. I know that you'll impress both the Director and Ignatius, though I can tell you're nervous as all hell," Cecelia grinned. She hoped that her unrelenting positivity and faith in Juniper calmed him down some.

Cecelia smiled as Juniper quickly measured up Galiya. The girl was heading for a nap and Cecelia was glad that she had taken the time to feed her. The little girl was active and getting measurements would have been difficult if she hadn't been sleepy. "It's hard living in a city like this, with more gollies than people like us. If we were in Vienda, we could choose to focus on only other humans and wicks. But I like the challenge of living here, I think, even with the prejudice against me."

"Don't get me wrong. I still want to strangle my coworkers most days," Cecelia laughed. "I know they're never going to like me. But if they learn to respect my work, that's good enough. I hope that even the most racist golly can learn to respect good work, even if they think the person doing it is only slightly smarter than a golly child. I've seen your portfolio. I know you're good at what you do, just like I am. I have no doubt in my mind that we'll prove ourselves."

She waved her hand at Juniper's question. "The curtain's fine. I don't want you to lock the shop and lose any potential customers," she grinned widely, her dimples coming out. She picked Galiya up and took her to the fitting room, placing the sleeping child on one of the chairs there. The baby burbled in her sleep and Cecelia gently brushed her cheek. She gave Galiya her doll and smiled as her daughter instantly wrapped herself around it in her sleep.

Tags:
Juniper Feldspar
Topics: 10
Race: Wick
Plot Notes: [url=http:/fullurl/]Plot Notes[/url]
Writer: Foxing
Post Templates: [url=http:/fullurl/]Post Templates[/url]

Fri May 31, 2019 7:40 am

Feldspar Tailoring
☙ 20th of Dentis, 2718; Morning ❧
Juniper smiled. With the shop to themselves, and the knowledge that Cecelia didn’t have to be anywhere, he was much more relaxed.

“Alright then. After you, Madame, he drawled in a mock-golly accent, sweeping his friend a low and flourishing bow as he gestured to what, with the dropping of the curtain, would be the fitting room.

Had Lia been more awake, the tailor would have coaxed her into 'helping' him measure her mother. Juniper knew the girl wasn’t talking properly yet, but he also knew that starting early with learning was never a bad thing- and anything that could distract her from deciding to cry at being set down was a win as far as Cee was concerned.

A moment of wistfulness caught the wick, but he shook it aside as he moved to loosen the curtain tie, drawing it across the room, pausing to let Cecelia walk through before closing off the front of the shop entirely.

The forging of this close and unexpected friendship had come with an equally unexpected realisation- that Juniper wanted a child of his own some day. It was a thought that caused him some mild distress- a dream that, like his hopes of finding a partner to share his days, was unlikely to ever materialise into reality.

He'd put it aside, but that didn't stop him caring for Galiya.

Once Cecelia and her daughter were through the curtain, the tailor closed it fully behind him, and darted off to the sideboard at the back of the shop with his measurements book.

"Cee, would you be happy to take off your outer layers? I need you as close to underwear as you're comfortable to go, it means I'll be less likely to have to make final adjustments when the clothes are made."

This was always the most awkward part of.his job, and he wasn't quite sure if it made it easier or harder that the first time in his new shop was with a friend...

Pausing for a moment, he bent to write down Cecelia's name and the locations of the measurements he was about to take, much more neatly than the scribbled numbers in the back of the book for the child's dress. His handwriting was one thing that, like his way of speaking, the little wick had worked extremely hard on, and he could be justly proud of it.

When she indicated that she was ready, the tailor would bustle around her, gentle touches to elbows and shoulders directing limbs and posture, tape moved with precision and care, double checking each measurement before writing it down.

Finally, work completed to his satisfaction, he stopped to look her in the eye, anxious blue gaze meeting kind brown. That nervous smile twitched at the corner of his lip, and when he spoke, it was with some emotion.

"Thank you, Cee. I mean it. Dropping my name to your employer, it was a risk, I know. I really hope things work out for you there, you deserve it."

The ginger wick went to hug her, but rapidly aborted the gesture, realising she wasn't appropriately dressed for such contact, and ducked out from behind the curtain, moving back to the safety of the counter. That good, solid counter.

"Sorry. Um. Yes. That's...that's all I needed. Do you want to stay while I sketch up a design for your employer's approval?"

☙❧
Cecelia Driscoll
Topics: 8
Race: Human
Plot Notes: Plot notes (Including thread history!)
Writer: Rachel/jadeowl
Writer Profile: Writer Profile
Post Templates: Post Templates

Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:38 am

20 DENTIS 2718
JUNIPER'S SHOP
Cecelia laughed at Juniper's comment about whether she'd be happy taking off her outer layers. "Juniper, when you have as big a family as I have in living in such a tiny place, you learn to set modesty aside. And anyways, getting fitted for clothing is different than undressing for other purposes," she teased the red-haired wick.

The dark-skinned woman gave a half-shrug. "Worst he could have said was no. And, honestly, the idea of a golly measuring me is much more uncomfortable than having you measure me," the woman said with a shudder. "At least you see me as a person."

Cecelia couldn't help but laugh at Juniper's aborted hug, but her laughter was gentle and amused rather than mocking. "I'll hang around while you work on sketches for a while. Lia's a lot more pleasant when she wakes up on her own from her naps," she said as she got dressed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “The Stacks”

• Information